The Black TV Film Collective
Last Updated: September 14, 2020
What is Personal Data?
When we speak about your “Personal Data” as it relates to your use of the Website, we mean any data, which may enable the identification of a specific person, or is otherwise linked to such potentially identifying data, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, credit card information, and personal interests.
- Your Consent.
- Types of Information We Collect.
We have the ability to collect two types of information from people who visit our Website: (i) Personal Data, and (ii) aggregated information which is anonymous data such as your IP address (i.e., a number that is assigned to your computer whenever you connect to the internet), your domain name (e.g., “XYZ.com”) and user statistics (e.g., 60% of our users live in New York) (collectively, “Aggregated Data”).
- How Do We Collect You Data.
We collect data in the following ways:
- Data Automatically Collected or Generated.
Such data consists of connectivity, technical or aggregated usage data, such as IP address, non-identifying data regarding the device, operating system, browser version locale and language settings used, the cookies and pixels installed on such device, and the activity (clicks and other interactions) of users of our Website.
- Data Received From You.
You may provide us Personal Data voluntarily, such as your name, e-mail address, phone number, and location when you contact us or when you post or publish such Personal data on the Website.
If you choose to give us your email address, we may communicate with you via email. We do not share your email address with others outside of BTFC. Depending on how your email application is set up, information about your actions, use of the email sent by us, may be transmitted automatically when you receive, open and/ or click on an email from us. In any event, you may opt out from receipt of any additional emails from us, at any time.
You can choose not to share any Personal Data with us. Of course, if you choose not to provide certain information, you might be unable to access certain services, offers and content on our Website
- What We Do With the Information.
We use Aggregated Data to diagnose technical problems on our Website, to help us administer the Website and improve the quality of its webpages, to permit us to provide data regarding the volume of use on, and frequency of visitors to the Website, to gather broad demographic information and to improve our Website to appeal to as many people as possible.
We do not use such data for the purpose of learning a person’s true identity or contact details. Rather, we use such data to gain a better understanding of how our users typically use and/or browse our Website. The use of certain Aggregated Data also helps us and our Service Providers to deliver contextual or otherwise more effective advertisements and content; to optimize our ad management and our users’ viewing experience, and to improve the overall user experience and functionality of our Website.
We may share or otherwise use Aggregated Data in our sole discretion and without the need for further approval.
Accordingly, we use Personal Data in order to contact our users via e-mail with general and/or service-related messages, including through distribution of a newsletter.
Promotional Communications. We may also contact you via the email address you provide us with in order to notify you about new services, events, programs and special opportunities or any other information we think you will find valuable.
If you wish not to receive such promotional communications, you may notify us at any time by filling out the electronic form below, or by following the “unsubscribe” or “update your preferences” instructions in the promotional communications you receive.
- With Whom Do We Share Data?
We may share your data (including Personal Data) with certain third parties, including law enforcement agencies, our Service Providers and our affiliates, as set forth below:
- Compliance with Laws, Legal Orders and Authorities. We may disclose or allow government and law enforcement officials access to certain Personal Data, in response to a subpoena, search warrant or court order (or similar requirement), or in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including for national security purposes. Such disclosure or access may occur with or without notice to you, if we have a good faith belief that we are legally compelled to do so, or that disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding actual or suspected illegal activity, fraud, or other wrongdoing.
- Service Providers and Business Partners. We may engage selected third party companies and individuals to perform services complementary to our own (hosting services, data analytics services, e-commerce, user engagement services, e-mail distribution, processing and collecting payments or crediting bank accounts, and monitoring services, as well as our business, legal, financial and compliance advisors) (collectively: “Service Providers”). These Service Providers may have access to your Personal Data, depending on each of their specific roles and purposes in facilitating the purposes of our Website, and may only use it for such purposes.
A list of the Service Providers we currently engage that have access to your Personal Data can be viewed here.
- Business Transfer. We may transfer your Personal Data in connection with a sale of all, or part of, our business, or sale or transfer of assets, or an acquisition, merger, reorganization, or in the event of bankruptcy, to a third party as part of such transaction, and to the extent permitted by applicable law.
- Protecting Rights and Safety. We may share your Personal Data with others, if we believe in good faith that this will help protect the rights, property or personal safety of BTFC, any of our users or any members of the general public.
- Further Uses. For the removal of doubt, we may share your Personal Data in additional manners, pursuant to your explicit approval, or if we have successfully rendered such data non-personal and anonymous.
Your name, email address and any other information you choose to make available in connection with any materials posted and/or published by you on the Website will be available and disclosed to other users of the Website and to other third parties who may have access to, or otherwise see, a display of such information on the Website. Such third parties will be able to find and see your publicly-shared content, including your name (and photo if you have provided one), your profile, any social actions you take on our Website such as events you RSVPed, social network links, as well as comments on,‘likes,’ or ‘re-sharing’ of posts, which will also be viable to such third parties.
Whether or not you provide such information and take such social actions is completely your own choice. BTFC is in no way responsible for retaining or protecting information you choose to make available to other users.
- How Do We Retain and Store Your Data?
While privacy laws may vary between jurisdictions, BTFC has taken reasonable steps to ensure that your Personal Data is treated by its affiliates and Service Providers at a secure and lawful manner, and in accordance with common industry practices, regardless of any lesser legal requirements that may apply in their jurisdiction.
- Your Rights Regarding Your Personal Information.
Please note that you may have certain rights regarding the manner of collection, processing and usage of your personal information pursuant to applicable privacy laws such as the EU General Data Protection Regulations (“GDPR”). Under the GDPR (to the extent it applies to you) you may be eligible for the following rights:
- The right to have your Personal Data deleted.
This right is subject to any requirement we may be subject to in connection with our compliance with a legal obligation / our exercise of a legal defense. In order for us to accommodate such right (to the extent applicable), please contact us in accordance with the details found at the “Contact us” section below.
- The right to access the Personal Data collected and processed.
- The right to rectify untrue or incorrect Personal Data.
- The right to object to us processing your Personal Data.
You may be entitled to object to certain processing functions, made for example, in connection with profiling activities. In order for us to accommodate such right (to the extent applicable), please contact us in accordance with the details found at the “Contact us” section below.
- The right to have your Personal Data exported at your request.
We will make efforts to comply within a reasonable time, and provide you with such compiled data in an electronic medium of our choice.
Please note that the above list contains a summary of the main rights you may have under the GDPR. Under no circumstances shall the above be deemed as an exhaustive list, nor should you rely on it in terms of fully understanding all of your rights under the GDPR.
- Protecting Children.
We take special care to protect the safety and privacy of children. Our Website is a general audience site. Nevertheless, our Website is directed towards and designed for use by persons aged 18 and older. We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from children under the age of 18. If we nevertheless receive Personal Data from an individual who indicates that he or she is, or whom we otherwise have reason to believe is, under the age of 18, we will delete such information from our systems.
- Security Measures.
BTFC maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to help guard your Personal Data. We restrict access to personally identifiable information to those persons who need to know that information to provide products or services to you and any persons you have authorized to have access to such information. Additionally, in an effort to ensure security and protection of your Personally Identifiable Information, we encrypt all submissions using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, the industry standard method for securing online transactions. All Personal Data including credit card number, name and address is encrypted in an effort to prevent such information from being used as transmitted over the Internet.
Protecting the security of your personal information that you share with us is important to us. Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to or from our Website, and you do so at your own risk.
- Links to Third Party Sites or Products.
- Policy Changes.
- Contact Us.
By email:[email protected]
Or at our head office address:
PO BOX 160246
1205 ATLANTIC AVE
BROOKLYN, NY 11216