Rising Writers App Lab: Now Accepting Applications
Rising Writers App Lab
The Black TV & Film Collective’s Rising Writers App Lab will select up to 5 writers per cycle to usher through the often daunting process of preparing for and applying to the industry’s most competitive and prestigious writing fellowships including the WB Writers’ Workshop, the Disney/ABC Writing Program and HBOACCESS, just to name a few. Applying for these programs can feel like a shot in the dark and can be a very isolating experience. The Rising Writer’s Application Lab is here to help change that.
Following an intensive bi-weekly schedule, the lab will assist rising writers in tightening up their original concepts, sharpening their spec scripts, and polishing the important personal and professional statements. As with everything we do, the aim of this lab is to aid our members in getting to the next level professionally.
It is widely known that these competitive fellowships are a springboard into the industry. Along the way, we’ll hear from the Industry writers and the program directors themselves, as they offer tips and tricks on how to help your application stand out. As with everything we do, the aim of this lab is to aid our members in getting to the next level professionally.
Days and Time: Every second and fourth Wednesday of the month from February through May.
Black TV & Film Collective Office located at 30 John St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Kahlil Garner – Program Leader
Email: [email protected]
Phone – 718 926-5309
– BTFC membership at the Advanced Membership support level
– An Original Pilot Script*
– A second well-written Original Pilot Script or a Spec for a live-action cable, broadcast or streaming service (e.g., Netflix, Amazon, Hulu) series
– Availability to commit for the mandatory bi-monthly meetings starting in February**
– Ability to commit to assigned deadlines within the lab**
– Signed Rising Artist release form submitted with application
*Writing should tonally match the Network for which you are applying. Will be considered the primary writing sample in the application.
**As commitments are a vital part of this training process, repeatedly missing meetings/deadlines will result in being asked to leave the program.
***DOWNLOAD RELEASE FORM HERE:
MUST BE SIGNED AND UPLOADED TO THIS APPLICATION:
– Two written and professionally formatted scripts (original and/or specs)
– Workshop based review of creative materials
– Mandatory deadlines for other application materials
– Industry professional feedback and advice
– A well-written and tightly focused application packet
– All participants must be able to commit for the mandatory bi-monthly meetings starting in February
– All participants must be able to meet specified deadlines for group and individual work
– We will meet every other week starting the second week in February; however, there will also be work assigned during the off week
Start the new year off with a plan to move your career forward with the support of a network of writers who want to see you win.
About the Black TV & Film Collective:
We are a leader in NYC for attracting, engaging and creating opportunities for talented storytellers of color in the fields of television, film and digital entertainment. We function in three key areas:
– Professional Development
– Relationship Building
– Production Support